September 19, 2016
July 25, 2016
April 9, 2016
March 3, 2016
February 17, 2016
December 14, 2015
November 24, 2015
September 23, 2015
September 22, 2015
September 21, 2015
August 10, 2015
July 15, 2015
July 15, 2015
March 31, 2015
March 17, 2015
Leading Beneficiary Institutions:
- Ministry of Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Web-site
The Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Ministry of the Republic of Belarus is a national state administration body in charge of exploitation of natural resources and environmental protection, pursuing the state ecology policy.
The main areas of activities of the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environmental Protection are as follows:
- Pursuing unified state policies, including economic and sci-tech ones, in the area of environmental protection and rational use of natural resources, hydrometeorological activities, ecological certification and ecological audit;
- State management of examination, protection, reproduction and rational use of natural resources, including mineral resources, waters, animals and plants; environmental protection; state regulation of hydrometeorology, ecological certification and audit;
- Regulation and coordination of activities of other governmental agencies, local executive and regulatory bodies, organizations involved in ensuring ecological safety, environmental protection and rational use of natural resources, including mineral resources, hydrometeorological activities, climate control, ecological certification and ecological audit;
- State regulation of geological exploration of surface resources and hydrometeorological activities, support and promotion of all types of organizations involved in the above-noted economic activities;
- Communication within its jurisdiction with local executive and regulatory bodies in solving environmental issues;
- State control in the area of environmental protection and hydrometeorological activities, ecological certification and audit;
- Preservation and sustainability of biologic diversity, elaboration and implementation of measures aimed at wildlife reproduction;
- Informing governmental agencies, local executive and regulatory bodies, and individuals on environmental issues; raising environmental awareness; promotion of environmental education;
- International cooperation; analysis, consolidation and sharing of international experiences in environmental protection and rational use of natural resources; climate control, hydrometeorological activities, ecological certification and audit.
- Well-organized and systematic environmental activities are key to sustainable socioeconomic development and ecological safety of a country.
With a view to achieving goals of the International Decade for Action Water for Life 2005-2015 and UN Millennium Declaration, Protocol on Water and Health to the Convention on the Protection and Use of Transboundary Watercourses and International Lakes, the Ministry of Natural Resources adopted a Water Strategy of the Republic of Belarus by 2020 outlining the main issues and setting the goals of Belarus in the area of water management and protection which have to be addressed taking into consideration the next stage of the socioeconomic development of Belarus.
Over the last two years the general state of such rivers as the Dnepr, Zapadnaya Dvina, Nioman and Pripiat have been greatly improved (especially their biogenic elements). There are signs of stabilization of the Zapadny Bug.
Owing to the reconstruction, upgrade and construction of sewage treatment plants the man-made burden on water resources have been greatly reduced. In the last five years 49 sewage treatment facilities were put into operation in line with the Clear Water Program and with the assistance from the local and national funds of environmental protection.
Other Key Institutions subordinated to the MNREP:
- State institution “Republican Center of Analytical Control in the Sphere of Environmental Protection” Web-site
The Republican Centre for Analytical Control in the Area of Environmental Protection (hereafter the Republican Centre for Analytical Control) and its laboratories are responsible for analytical control.
The main purpose of the Republican Centre for Analytical Control is implementation of the state policy on environmental protection by fulfilling the following tasks:
- State analytical control in the area of environmental protection;
- Environmental monitoring;
- Environmental measurements and testing;
- Guidelines for environmental measurements and testing, management measurement and testing laboratories;
- Collection, processing, analysis of information and maintenance of monitoring and analytical control databases.
- To provide information about methodological base used for environmental measurements the Republic Centre for Analytical Control keeps record of measuring methods, state standards of the Republic of Belarus and interstate standards applied during measuring indexes of composition and properties environmental elements (air, precipitation, surface and underground waters, soil, bottom sediments) as well as natural and man-made elements (sewage, waste).
- Republican Unitary Enterprise “Central Research Institute for Complex Use of Water Resources” (CRICUWR) Web-site
CRICUWR is a specialised scientific institution of the Ministry for Natural Resources and Environmental Protection of the Republic of Belarus for the research in the fields of water resources management and engineering.
The main task of the CRICUWR is to secure scientific and technological progress in the fields of integrative use and environmental protection of water resources by implementing theoretical research and developing new technologies, methods and tools.
The major objectives of the CRICUWR:
- Integrative environmental assessment of water resources in Belarus;
- Development of guidelines and recommendations for the management of environmental impacts on water resources; technological improvement of existing schemes of water use; development of the robust system for the monitoring of the surface- and ground-waters.
- Development of international cooperation, in particular for the transboundary water systems.
CRICUWR fields of operations:
- Development of the conceptual framework for environmental forecasting, planning, accounting, management and control of water use and protection, including emergency situations.
- Promotion of the scientific and technological progress in the field of integrative use of water resources.
- Development of environmentally-friendly and economically efficient solutions for water bodies engineering.
- Overall coordination of the State Water Cadastre, analysis and processing of the Cadastre data, dissemination of the information on water quality, supply against the demand of the concerned institutions; information exchange on transboundary water bodies.
- Scientific and methodological support to the projects and schemes for water-protection buffer zones along water bodies and within water supply areas.
- Environmental audit related to the issues of hydroecology.
- Development of the state-of-art technologies and applications for water preparation.
- Development of technologies for the production of soft drinks that involve natural minerals.
- Development of the methodology to assess the recreational zones and recreational capacity of water objects
- State Institution “Republican Hydro-meteorological Center” Web-site
The State Hydrometeorological Service is a system of organizationally and functionally united entities or their structural subdivisions involved in hydrometeorological activities and reporting to the republican hydrometeorological agencies. The State Hydrometeorological Service comprises seven state-run organizations reporting to the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environmental Protection under the jurisdiction of the Hydrometeorology Department. They are as follows: Republican Hydrometeorological Center, Republican Aviation and Meteorological Center, Brest Oblast Hydrometeorology and Environmental Monitoring Center, Vitebsk Oblast Hydrometeorology and Environmental Monitoring Center, Gomel Oblast Hydrometeorology and Environmental Monitoring Center, Grodno Oblast Hydrometeorology and Environmental Monitoring Center, Mogilev Oblast Hydrometeorology and Environmental Monitoring Center named after O.Y. Shmidt.
- “Republican Center for Radiation Control and Environmental Monitoring Web-site
- Republican Unitary Enterprise "Belarusian Research Geological Exploration Institute"(State Enterprise "BRGEI") Web-site
Major fields of scientific and technical activities
- scientific backing of regional studies of the Earth's interior, geological exploration of all kinds of minerals, justification of advisability of their prospection and commercial mining, improvement of the available methods and tools for geological exploration and development of the new ones in order to increase their efficiency ;
- determination of the priority directions of future geological exploration works with recommendations developed;
- geological and economic assessment of the mineral potential of the territory of Belarus and advisability of commercial exploitation of various mineral deposits in order to forecasts further development and utilization of mineral reserves;
- geological and economic analysis of results of geological exploration works carried out in the Republic of Belarus with suggestions for increasing their economic efficiency and decreasing their costs;
- hydrogeological, geoecological and engineering-geological research in the field of geological study, prospection, exploration and development of mineral resources;
- development of new mineral mining techniques;
- scientific contribution to geological exploration works for trial-operation of wells for oil and gas, hydromineral materials and other minerals; improvement of procedures of sinking, casing, testing oil and gas wells;
- development of new software tools used in geology, exploration geophysics and hydrogeology, methods of local forecast, reconnaissance and exploration of mineral deposits ;
- introduction of up-to-date fast-response methods based on aerocosmic and remote-sensing data.